by Ginny Schrag
Every year, the Gathering holds an event to celebrate our volunteers and honor those who have reached milestones in their service with us. This year’s celebration was held on the evening of March 27th at Evolution Gastro Pong (formerly Spin Milwaukee) in the Third Ward. This table tennis and dining venue offers space to nonprofits at no charge. Over 100 Gathering volunteers took advantage of the four available ping pong tables and the catered food and beverages.
Between 1,500 and 2,000 volunteers work with the Gathering each year, cooking, coordinating serving groups, preserving produce, serving meals, cleaning and painting, answering phones, guiding the agency through board service, conducting fundraisers, and so much more.
To our volunteers: without you there would be no Gathering. You build the community and maintain the hospitality so important to serving our guests with respect and dignity. Thank you!
The 2013 Volunteer Award Recipients are listed below. Special thanks to Lisa Yanzer for all of the event’s photographs pictured throughout this newsletter and on our website.
Friend of the Gathering Awards – Outstanding Service
Hindu Temple of Wisconsin, Jim Leurquin, St. James Episcopal Church, Weekday On-Site Collaborations (Homeless Outreach Nursing Center, Legal Aid Society & Lucy Cooper, St. Ben’s Medical Clinic)
George Greene Award – Given for exceptional service by a guest turned volunteer: Craig Burrow, Breakfast Program
Serving Groups - Milestones reached in 2013 for # of times served
- 15+ Faith Community Congregational Church, Mt. Calvary Lutheran School
- 25+ Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church
- 35+ Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church
- 50+ St. Boniface Episcopal Church, YouthWorks
- 65+ University Lake School
- 75+ North Shore Presbyterian Church, St. Christopher’s Episcopal Church, St. John Vianney Firm Believers
- 85+ St. Rafael Catholic School, UWM Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership and Research
- 150+ Emanuel United Church of Christ
- 275+ St. Anne’s Serving Team
- 325+ Marquette University High School
Produce Preservation - Milestones reached in 2013 for # of times served
- 10+ Char Radke, Jane Shero, Michelle Talhami
- 25+ Eileen Duffey
Individual Awards – Milestones reached in 2013 for # ofyears served:
- 3 Years: Tom Sromek, Shayla Sromek, Shirley Bankier, Jennifer Thomas, Sue Hanser, Brian Genduso, Cindy Kaja, Rob Krecak, Robert MacDonald
- 5 Years: Velma Foster, Kathy Sween, Noni Guddie, Judy Linsley, Dan Linsley, Camille Austin, Tricia Trexell, Marie Daniels, Sandra Hickman, Valecia Watson
- 10 Years: Cheri Grambo
- 15 Years: Gene Detert, Julie Mercer
- 20 Years: Bob Nakamura, Pat Steppe
- 25 Years: Marge Gundrum